Monday, April 21, 2008

3pm weekdays on 7

Freelance work has its pros and cons. Sometimes things fall into both categories, namely daytime television.

I have to admit my TV is on pretty much all day, so I have become intimately acquainted with its highs (the occasional midday movie treat) and lows (that fallow period from 4pm).
It does sometimes cause confusion. Whenever the audience on Gladiators does that 3, 2, 1 countdown, it’s almost impossible for me not to yell out “Stop cooking!”
Thank you, Ready, Steady, Cook.

Today, though, heralds a great moment for the homebound – the return of The Golden Girls. Even better, they’re starting from the very beginning - the pilot episode that had Coco the gay chef, who never appeared again. That I find myself genuinely excited about this could be seen as a sign of desperation, but it hasn’t been on TV for ages so I see it as a reason to celebrate.
I think the last time I saw it was at the Midnight Shift many years ago when they used to screen it every week.
It never failed to draw a capacity crowd.

2 comments:

Victor said...

Golden Girls has been screening daily on several Foxtel channels for years. Even though I rarely come across an episode I haven't seen multiple times previously I still get a great laugh from it.

Anonymous said...

What is it about this show? I can never get enough, no matter how many times I've already seen the episodes. (And wouldn't you know free-to-air would start showing something worthwhile during the day, just when I'm leaving my status as a migrant house-husband and moving back to the States for a while?)