Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The other half

I live just around the corner from Darley Street, which has some of the most glamorous piles in Darlinghurst. It’s only two short blocks and doesn’t really strike a single dodgy architectural note, but of course some are more striking than others.

I think Stoneleigh is my favourite:


For one, it’s massive. It also has the tallest, neatest hedge I’ve ever seen (their topiary bill must be daunting). It looks like the headquarters of some elite, hush-hush organisation involving elaborate handshakes and funny hats but is apparently just a family home.
It’s also two doors away from Iona, the abode (more of an estate, really) of director Baz Luhrmann and family. I was going to take a photo of it but when they moved in they put up a huge brush fence to thwart gawkers.

I was also worried about being pounced upon by a well-choreographed troupe of bouncers who might have confiscated my camera. You’ll just have to picture it.

3 comments:

Victor said...

Maybe it's an ASIO safe house?

DARIAN ZAM said...

When you say "glamorous" you sound like Lance Leopard. I can hear you from here.

Lois Steam said...

I'll take that as a compliment.