Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Untwink #2

I think it’s safe to say that The Mary Tyler Moore Show holds a dear place in the hearts of many gay men of a certain age (or with access to re-runs), and not just for the hat-tossing credit sequence.
Ditto the spin-off series Rhoda (not to mention Phyliss).
There’s also the fabulous Betty White, who played the slutty Sue Ann Nivens, host of The Happy Homemaker Show. That she later played the sweet Rose Nylund from St Olaf in The Golden Girls has given her a kind of rosy gay legend aura, which she thoroughly deserves.

Having said all that, I was always transfixed by Ed Asner’s forearms.
He played Mary’s boss, Lou Grant, typically gruff but fair, and every time he rolled up his shirtsleeves I became a little distracted. He got his own eponymous spin-off drama, which I don’t remember very well, but it won 13 Emmy Awards and a Peabody Award, which I gather is very prestigious but just makes me think of that talking beagle on Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Anyway, Ed is 78 years old now. Here he is back then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the Ed Asner thing; I always got hot under the collar watching him on the Mary Tyler Moore Show. I'm also loving this 'Untwink' series, keep 'em coming!