Friday, April 25, 2008

Today...

Today, being ANZAC Day, is awash with nostalgia and documentary footage and live feeds from dawn services. I feel strangely disconnected from it all.

Today is also my father's birthday. His 70th. You'd imagine we'd be planning a big get-together or at least a meal in a nice restaurant but no, he doesn't want to do anything. At all.
Fine by me - I haven't finished making his card yet.

Today also marks the end of Gay Bash, a two(?)-year-old party night that caused a bit of a ruckus with is ironic name.
Were they reclaiming the term and thus its power or were they merely encouraging those unable to grasp its humour?

Meh. My only brief experience with the Gay Bash crowd was upstairs at the Oxford on Mardi Gras night.
Squeezing through them to the smoking balcony I noticed lots of boys in skinny jeans with sticky hair and girlfriends wearing too much makeup.
All very 'non-scene'.

No comments: