Sunday, April 20, 2008

Sydney flashback #3

The art deco Albury Hotel on Oxford Street, Paddington, lasted two decades as a gay venue from 1980 and was, if this advert is any indication, a bastion of butch in its early days. By the time I got there in the late ’80s, however, it was a drag mecca.
It also had the muscliest muscle Mary bartenders in town, several of whom appeared in ‘adult’ films, courtesy of a visit to town by director Kristen Bjorn (see Sailor in Sydney and Manly Beach).

I had many great nights at the Albury. The Kylie Show was amazing for the massive crowds it pulled; dozens of screaming queens spilling out onto the footpath was always a sight.
I’ll also never forget Bernina Bod performing ‘Climb Every Moutain’ – in a wheelchair.

In 2000, the owners sold the venue. It’s now a Puma store.

4 comments:

DARIAN ZAM said...

I just walked past the Puma Store the other day and was reminiscing.
I think that the best show ever was the insane Monday night show they had for a while which starrred Bernina Bod, Cindy Pastel and Victoria Bitter (remember when journalist Paul Hayes was a drag queen?). I am sure Bernina performed this number as a spot, but he was definitely in a whelchair. all the songs in the show were about Monday. One night they got into the store room, skulled 2 bottles of Vodka before the show. Cindy pushed Bernina out of the wheelchair on stage, a huge real fight erupted with Victoria emptying a rubbish bin full of ice, a few bags of twisties, and Cindy picked up the cash register and threw it into the audience. I have never laughed so hard in my life and they all got fired for c ausing thousands of dollars of damage.It was the best ever.
I was lucky enough to be invited to their closing day (and night)party and it was fantastic. Sydney just ain't what it used to be.

FireHorse said...

Remember the story of the 'Leopard' pointing a fake gun at Mike Mathieson whilst he was playing piano at the Albury one Sunday night. I believe LL even blew into the end of the gun after pretending to shoot Mike. The good part (well, maybe not for MM) was that carloads of coppers arrived at Pastels and dragged LL out. They may have even temporarily closed the club for a few hours.
And yes Darian, Sydney just ain't what it used to be. lol

Lois Steam said...

Jeez, we've all grown up...
Lance was over for a video night during the week and I saw Paul just this afternoon.
He's editor of City Weekly these days.
All too civilised

DARIAN ZAM said...

I actually saw it with my own eyes. I think I was walking home down Crown Street back from my studio in Potts Point, and I saw Leopard get spread on the bonnet of a Cruiser outside Pastel's. I just watched from across the road with slight amusement while I continued munching on my lil' slice of history.