Thursday, April 3, 2008

Red carpet moment



There’s nothing worse than walking past a perfect photo opportunity without a camera. But then there’s nothing better than having a friend whio can lend you his relatively ancient (only three megapixels!) offcast for a hit-and-run.

Picture it: It’s around 6pm and I’m walking towards Kings Cross along Darlinghurst Road, not a particularly salubrious stretch, when I notice a swatch of red carpet on the footpath enclosed by two small lengths of velvet rope; a kind of micro-pre-Oscars set-up, or the entry to really, really small VIP room.

Then I remembered: it’s the Real Gay Cowboy/Olivia Newtown-John Great Wall of China Walk for Cancer/HIV Fundraising Dinner!
Shit, no camera; this forlorn scene (pre-party, empty) was perfect.

In any case, I took this on my way home at about 9.15. I took another of the inside, but what with the two large bouncers out front, the apparently sparse crowd and the unmistakable drag-queen-has-control-of-the-microphone ambience, I didn’t linger to capture the full experience.

I reckon this sums it up pretty well.

No comments: